Re: studio cameras circa 1950s

From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 18:01:05 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Bryant" <dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2006 5:35 PM
Subject: RE: studio cameras circa 1950s

> Production of AZO was discontinued several months ago.
> Michael and Paula
> still have some left for sale as well as a couple of other
> vendors. Grade 2
> AZO is very soft, not really a grade two when compared to
> enlarging speed
> papers. Grade 3 (if available) is a bit contrastier and
> may be suitable for
> some negatives that can be printed on non contact speed
> Grade 2 papers.

   FWIW, Michael and Paula appear to have found someone to
make an Azo replacement. See:
http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/newpaper.html

    According to the Kodak data sheets for Azo its contrast
range is about the same as other papers of the same grade
(Grade-2 = ISO R-110). If you are enlaging with a condenser
enlarger this may account for the difference in grade for
the same negative. Condenser enlargers of the common
partially diffusing type (Omega or Bessler) increase
effective contrast by about 1 paper grade.
    Azo is very similar to other papers other than speed. It
is a very slow emulsion intended for contact printing on a
printing box with rather intense light. Typical variable
contrast enlarging paper has a speed with a Grade-2 filter
of about ISO-250, Azo speed for Grade-2 is ISO-4.
    I've seen many of Michael and Paula's prints. They are
excellent, however, I am not convinced that equal results
can not be had from contact printing on enlarging paper.
Nonetheless, when they offer their replacement for Azo I
will try some.
    According to the above web site they decided to have the
new paper coated on single weight stock.
    FWIW, up to at least the 1950's there were at least 8 to
10 contact speed papers offered by the 3 largest US
manufacturers (Kodak, Ansco, Defender), plus imported
papers. Many of these papers were available in several
grades, in single or double weight, and in a wide variety of
textures and surfaces.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA