Re: VanDyke problem

Carson Graves (carson@zama.hq.ileaf.com)
Thu, 7 Apr 94 13:35:00 EDT

> From: Larry Bullis <lbullis@ctc.ctc.edu>
>
> Carson,
>
> > Have you tried not using a sizing? I've always had good results with
> > BFK and brown prints (cyanotypes too) not using any sizing. In fact,
> > I've only found a few papers that didn't work well without sizing so
> > that it was easier to simply switch papers when I came across one that
> > gave me problems using these processes.
>
> As I understand it, most papers, including the sheet versions of BFK do
> come with a sizing from the factory. This sizing may be fairly light, and
> most people would probably ignore it and just apply another sizing right
> over it. They have to have sizing because they don't have the "wet
> strength" to withstand the prolonged soaking they certainly get in photo
> processes, if not in other printmaking media.

Thanks for pointing out that I was indeed talking about paper without
any "additional" sizing, rather than no sizing at all. Thanks also for
the mini paper tutorial. I had no idea that papers such as BFK were
actually available without the default finish. Oh, btw do you know if
Rives is making their platinotype paper these days? I played around
with some about 15 years ago & found it much like BFK in surface and
color, but lighter weight. I haven't seen it since but I have also been
out of touch. I have no idea what might (or might not) have been used
for sizing during manufacture.

RE: wet time. One story which might amuse you was that some years ago
when I was doing some gravure printing, I found that BFK really didn't
produce smooth prints until it had soaked for at least a week. Had to
keep it in the fridge so it wouldn't fall apart.

Carson Graves
carson@ileaf.com