Re: The place of old processes

James M. Justen (juste001@maroon.tc.umn.edu)
Tue, 26 Apr 94 18:22:03 -0500

In message <24042616130055@vms2.macc.wisc.edu> writes:
> I'm quite enjoying this philosophic thread about why
Me too

> My suspicion is that obsolete technologies don't die but become
> niche markets--expensive supplies but potentially high resale values.
> What sort of galls me though is that methods of mass production become
> artificially limited to producing one-of-a-kinds or limited editions, in
> part to keep the resale prices high. This seems perverse, like antique
> cars, in perfect working order, that are never driven.
> Dan Fuller
The worst part of it is the fact that to practice these methods becomes
hazardously expensive. I certainly appreciate that _somebody_ is attempting to
make supplies available, but having worked in commercial labs, I know they are
profiting immensely from reselling bulk chemistry to artists. Ive practiced
_passe_ methods that were not yet _obsolete_, then they are in essence, decreed
obsolete by Kodak...and suddenly an inexpensive alternative method becomes the
domain of niche art. Witness the demise of proprietry raw chemistry from Kodak.
Ironically, I can forsee when ordinary silver-based printing/film will become
the haunt of fine arts practitioners as well. A vast amount of Gee Whiz digital
manipulation is really quite easy and a little inane. Yet is regarded as
wizardry. Somebody mentioned love as the missing ingredient, that sounds about
right...theres alot of love missing in contemporary digital imagery. I like to
think that we who practice alternative processes can plan on a time when our
command of an _inexact, analog_ process becomes a kind of wizardry itself to the
general public and graphics market. Here's hoping, eh?

* Jim Justen *
* Human Ear Audio Ltd./TM. *
*Im Digital and Photographic Imaging,Inc. *
* POB 14023 *
* Dinkytown Station *
* Minneapolis, MN 55414 *
* INTERNET: Juste001@maroon.tc.umn.edu *
* Vox/Fax: (612)827-2947 *
* "did we say you could have opinions?" *