Platinum Permanency

Philip Jackson (p.jackson@nla.gov.au)
Sat, 21 May 1994 09:52:17 +22304700 (EET)

On Thu, 19 May 1994, NADO000 wrote:

> A platinum image is permanent, but it is a strong catalyst and can
> affect, even destroy cellulose. A platinum print is almost like an
> organic living thing. There have been graduate theses on this subject
> recently in France and in the UK and these will be discussed in the
> upcoming 3rd revision of my book on platinum printing (end of June I
> hope)

A question for Luis, or do we have to wait for his book:-)
Is palladium susceptible to the same catalytic reactions? As well as
cost, and warmer tones, is this a reason for favouring palladium over
platinum?

Would applying a thin size of gelatin on top of the platinum prevent this
catalytic reaction? Mike Ware apparently uses a similar procedure in his
new chrysotype process to protect the hydrophobic (?) colloidal gold.

Philip Jackson
pjackson@nla.gov.au