Re: Medium for Developer

Greg Schmitz (gws1@columbia.edu)
Wed, 1 Jun 1994 18:57:20 -0400 (EDT)

John,

I don't have my copy handy (I can't check it) but I think Grant Haist may
have discussed "thick" developers (including some for use with paper); I
have included the library record below.

I would think some care would have to be exercised in the formulation of a
"thick" developer. I would assume that due to poor agitation during
development the developer in contact with the print surface might exhaust
rapidly. This of course might be a "benefit" as it would, I suspect,
reduce the overall contrast of the print.

You might try of mixing your developer with latex paint (tempera might
work well). I have no idea if it would work but if it did a water-soluble
paint could be washed off afterwards and you would be able to see where
you have "painted" when coating; this might aid in not missing any spots.

AUTHOR: Haist, Grant Milford, 1922-
TITLE: Monobath manual.
EDITION: [1st ed.]
PUBLISHED: Hastings-on-Hudson [N.Y.] Morgan & Morgan [1966]
PHYSICAL DETAILS: 168 p. illus. 24 cm.

SUBJECTS: Photography--Developing and developers.
Photography--Printing processes.

NOTES: Includes bibliographies and index.

LCCN: 66-20077 //r78