Re: Hazards

Carson Graves x4692 3NE (carson@zama.hq.ileaf.com)
Mon, 3 Oct 94 09:27:43 EDT

> From: Philip Jackson <p.jackson@nla.gov.au>
[snip]

> Rempel, Siegfried
> Health hazards for photographers / Siegfried Rempel and Wolfgang
> Rempel. New York : Lyons & Burford, c1992.
> x, 214 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
> Includes bibliographical references (p. 210-212) and index.
> ISBN 1558211810 : $16.95
> 1. Photographic chemicals--Safety measures. 2. Photographic
> chemicals--Health aspects. I. Rempel, Wolfgang. II. Title.
> TR212 .R46 1992 771/.5/0289 20
> 92-037373
>

> Rempel doesn't really deal with nonsilver processes but is still well
> worth reading even if you're not necessarily going to follow his advice,
> which is pretty scarey. For example, he puts all dichromates in the do not
> use category, which knocks out gum, carbon, collotype, photogravure, etc.

Not to mention most cyanotype formulas in the "etc"... In short, Rempel
is (apparently, I haven't heard of this book before this) blowing off
virtually every non-silver process.

I have to wonder on what basis Remple is making such pronouncements.
The current intrepretation of liability laws certainly seems caprious
these days, but as someone who has used dichromates for over 20 years,
I can't help but feel that they are perfectly safe to use *if* one
understands and uses the necessary precautions. In other words,
reading the above makes me wonder to what extent should we be allowed
to take responsibility for our own actions. I guess Stemple thinks "not
at all."

OTOH, I can really appreciate the uncertainty and desire for caution
that someone like Stemple has. I left out formulas for thiourea based
toners in my book on black and white printing because my personal
experience with thiourea was limited and I had read quite a bit about
its toxic nature. I just didn't want to appear to recommend something I
wasn't personally comfortable with.

Still, telling photographers not to use dichromates.... Wait until
he hears that silver nitrate is dangerous :-)

Carson Graves
carson@ileaf.com