Re: Collotype:Was Dichromated gelatin

Carson Graves x4692 3NE (carson@zama.hq.ileaf.com)
Wed, 5 Oct 94 11:15:57 EDT

> From vast.unsw.edu.au!alt-photo-process@ileaf.prospect.com Wed Oct 5 10:23:46 1994
> Sender: alt-photo-process@vast.unsw.edu.au
> From: NADO000 <LNADEAU@unb.ca>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <alt-photo-process@vast.unsw.edu.au>
> Subject: Collotype:Was Dichromated gelatin
>
> >For whatever it is worth, I discovered that 175 bloom gelatin gave the
> >best reticulation pattern for collotype plates. Doesn't help you, but
> >I thought it might be useful information for someone.
> >
> >Carson Graves
>
> I'm happy to see that there is at least one person here practicing the
> collotype process. How active are you?

Not for 20 years.

> Do you print your own work only
> or do you print for others?

Actually, my interest in collotype plates was as a source of a random
dot halftone screen. Most of my experiments were in the realm of dying
the gelatin to produce specific contrast screens. I pretty much started
with a screen that duplicated the contrast of the Kodak magenta
halftone screen and then modified the dyes in the gelatin to fit the
requirements of the process I was using for the final print.

> How many other collotypists do we have on this list?

I do know someone who is working with collotypes in Arizona. As I
recall he got a grant in the last year or two to produce a portfolio
from Fredrick Sommer's images. Haven't heard how it went.

BTW, are you still doing Fresson prints?

Carson Graves
carson@ileaf.com