Re: Polaroid Transfer questions

Alan Bucknam (bucknama@spot.colorado.edu)
Wed, 25 Jan 1995 22:54:18 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 26 Jan 1995 Nika281@aol.com wrote:

> Hi
> I have just started doing wet transfers and I have a lot of questions. Any
> advice would be very helpful.
> 1. How do I control contrast and color saturation
> 2. Can transfers be done in B&W
> 3. How wet should the paper be and what is the best way to "blot" it.
> 4. Is there an archaival method
> 5. What papers work best.
> 6. Is there a book on the topic.

Well, all of us former students of the Savnnah College of Art and Design
-circa 1990-93, most of us- found that the best results were always
obtained when a window was left open.

I'm not kidding.

I don't know if it was voodoo magic blowing in from the costal lowlands,
or the wonderful moisture-laden air; it was so successful a method, that
I still crack a window open here in Colorado when doing the process.

Transfers cannot be made with B&W Polaroid. We've tried. Try shooting a
color polaroid of a B&W photo, instead -or use a monochromatic filter on
your camera.

Unfortunately, due to the inherent caustic-ness of the "Pola-goo", as we
say, even on acid-free paper your image will probably degrade somewhat.

good luck,
Alan Bucknam

bucknama@spot.colorado.edu