Re: Black/white reversal

Greg Schmitz (gws1@columbia.edu)
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 11:24:49 -0500 (EST)

Hal,

I too have been unhappy with the results I have obtained when
reversing Kodak's TMax films. When TMax was introduced I ran
exhaustive tests using a number of published formulas; both as
published and modified. Kodak's "Direct Positive Film Developing
Outfit" proved to be the best of a mediocre lot, but Kodak's kit is
too expensive for production work and Kodak will not furnish any
formulas. So, I still rely on shooting negative stock, Kodak's TMX
for the most part, contact printed onto Kodak's 5302 (or 7302) Fine
Grain Release Positive to produce many thousands of slides per year.
While this method does have some drawbacks, it does provide a wide
range of controls. Modifications include developer, developing time
and exposure (among others) for both the negative stock and the
positive stock. If there is interest and little objection, I can post
an overview of the process to the group. Else, if you are interested
Hal, please get in touch with me.

greg schmitz

On Fri, 3 Feb 1995, Hal Leininger wrote:

> Forgive me if this is garbled, Slip.net seems to be having problems.
> Perhaps no one will want to answer me since my question concerns silver.
> With that said, I gave up still photography with the demise of
> Panatomic-X. I would bulk load 100' and when done shooting all of it I
> used the Kodak reversal formula to process it all in one evening.
> Interestingly my working ASA was 250, quite a nice general shooting
> speed. I tried T-max as it was offered as the reversal replacement but
> the results were dismal. Ilford didn't work for me either. So now I'd
> like to try again if I can use something similar to my old system. I
> realize that shooting negative's and copying them is a possibility,
> perhaps someone knows a good combination or how about an address of a
> list that would fit this subject. Thanks
>

>===for PGP Public Key finger Greg Schmitz <gws1@columbia.edu>=====
:: ::
Key fingerprint = 73 D3 91 15 96 69 74 E5 14 51 71 44 C8 ED 01 11
Key ID: A7026B1D Key Size: 1024 bits Created: 1994/11/10