Re: Tricolor Gum Bichromate materials - query

Virginia Boehm (gini@ix.netcom.com)
Mon, 27 Feb 1995 04:31:51 -0800

You wrote:

>The idea of using Panalure paper may be unsound but I don'tthink the
reason
>would be the lack of detail. I used paper negatives as original
printing
>material and found as contact print material they yielded positives
every
>bit as sharp and detailed as traditional fim material.
>I would be more concerned with the registration problems due to the
change
>of size between the negs.
>I heard that Steven Livick an artist in Ontario has been using fine
line
>halftone color separations and getting beautiful results.
>There are no cost saving short cuts when trying to make art , you
invest in
>your materials and get cosistant results.
>Regards Thaddeus
>
>Professor Thaddeus Holownia
>Mount Allison University
>Sackville New Brunswick
>Canada E0A 3C0
>506-364-2499

I'm having second thoughts about panalure, based on feedback from you
and others. I've never used it. I assume its fiber based and
relatively thin.

Differences in sizes between negatives is not an issue - this one was
easy to solve. I set up a slide in the enlarger, focus it, position
the image, then tape down the easel on the backboard, just leaving the
leaf free so I can slide film (or paper) in or out. While I'm doing a
set of negatives I *never* move either the enlarger or the easel, and
only touch the enlarger to change the filtration.

I've used half tone film, and like the results. However, its also
ortho and I still have that set of problems.

This list is great! You people have been very helpful and your
efforts on my behalf are much appreciated.
Gini