Re: E-4 process

Virginia Boehm (gini@ix.netcom.com)
Tue, 28 Feb 1995 04:35:54 -0800

You wrote:

>I am very interested in trying to run my own E-4 process. I have
gotten
>info from Kodak (ie..formulas, instruction sheets, ect) but have run
into
>a roadblock trying to find some of the chemicals. Checking with The
Formulary
>and others has come up with nill. I was wondering if anyone out there
could
>offer some direction. I have heard of running E-6 at a lower temp.
anyone
>tried this ?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help !
>
>Keep Shooting:-)
>
>David Black <zu03632@uabdpo.dpo.uab.edu>

Some of the original E4 chemistry was quite toxic, and that's why its
nearly impossible to get now days. E6 at a lower temperature works
(but not very well) providing that a) The film is pre-hardened (if you
don't the emulsion will fall off in the first developer - its
happened to me!) b)That light, rather than chemical fogging us used to
reverse the image, and c)bleach time is cut by about 20% (otherwise, the
cyan layer sluffs off in the bleach - I've had that happen too!).

Sorry to be so discouraging, but my experience with this was basically
a series of frustrting errors, and even when it did work, I wasn't
pleased with the results. The problem is that the color infrared film
is very thin and very fragile. E6 is meant for much tougher stuff.

Gini