Re: safe way to flatten gum prints?

Virginia Boehm (gini@ix.netcom.com)
Thu, 9 Mar 1995 04:23:37 -0800

You wrote:

>Please...
>Can anyone suggest a safe way to flatten out gum prints?
>My paper (Arches 90lb. CP) is sized with gelatin and there's at least
three
>layers of gum. I've been afraid to flatten them out by standard means
(i.e.
>dry mount press) for fear of cracking and/or heat damage to the image.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>-janice

What I do is also put a layer of sizing on the back before making the
first gum exposure. This reduces the curl, which of course gets worse
the more layers of gum are used, no matter how well the paper is
pre-shrunk.

Beyond that, rather than risk a heat source to flatten, I'll go back to
the old fashioned way - 4 or 5 thick portfolio sized books on top of
the print (after it is very, very, dry) for about a week. Low tech,
yes, but it gets the print flat enough so it can be matted and, if
desired, framed.
Gini