Re: Pinhole Photography

Larry Bullis (lbullis@ctc.ctc.edu)
Tue, 14 Mar 1995 22:17:47 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 11 Mar 1995, Chico Seay wrote:

> Larry:
> How do you make your pinholes?

My methods have changed somewhat since the article I wrote for _Pinhole
Journal_ in 1987 ("Pinhole Crafting", _PJ_ Vol 3 #2, August, 1987), but
the object is the same. The best pinholes are "poked" rather than
drilled. Drilled holes are miniature tubes, where a carefully made
handmade hole is knife-edged inside and perfectly round. The appropriate
tool is a needle, preferrably held in a pin vise.

I use a cork block and puncture a piece of pure silver foil, which I have
rolled out for me by a precious metals supplier to .003". Then I turn the
foil over and dress the protruding metal with a very fine jeweler's file.