Re: Gum Dichromate print washing

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Tue, 4 Apr 1995 22:48:54 +0300

>You wrote:
>

>>I am planning on doing some gum dichromate prints this summer, and
>>I was wondering about what I should do with the water used to wash
>>the prints. Can it be poured outside on the ground? How about down
>>the drain? Or does it need to be more carefully disposed of?
>>
>>Thanks for your help,
>>
>>Michael
>>

>The dichromate is relatively benign. I've washed it down the drain
>and into my septic system, well diluted, with no trouble. The worse
>that happens is that it stains your hands and anything else it contacts,
>a bright yellow.

..

I'll make sure I don't buy your property! You could probably pour 50 pounds
of dichromate in your septic system and not notice anything in the short
term, until neighbors or their children have strange health problems years
later or until someone has their water analized, in which case the entire
neigborhood's property value is down the drain because the water won't be
safe for the next 50 years...

The above may be a worst case scenario, but it has happened.

BTW, use gloves to handle dichromate and a dust mask is a good idea.

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, NB, Canada