Re: Pt/Pd Printer's Survey - please help!

Beakman (beakman@netcom.com)
Wed, 5 Apr 1995 11:36:38 -0700 (PDT)

> If as you say you do not have any profit motive behind getting this information
> how about making it available to everyone. Put it out as a file on the APP FAQ
> or e-mail to everyone on this list. And since you would have no cost of printing
> etc. by doing it this way you should have no objection to passing the info on,
> that is if you have no profit motive that is.

> In message <199504042021.NAA11866@netcom20.netcom.com> writes:
> > Hi everyone. I am reposting my platinum/palladium printer's survey in
>
> > I would especially like to hear from those of you who have pioneered your
> > own formulae/working methods. Pradip, Richard Sullivan, Luis are you there?
> >
> > I also mailed out my survey to about 400 Pt/Pd printers (with the very
> > kind help of Bostick & Sullivan). Thus far I have recived about 60 or so
> > of those surveys back, so I am getting some good material for the book.
> >
> > I would think that responding by e-mail would be easier than filling out
> > the form and mailing back a hard copy as 60 others have done. <Ed: this
> > is the guilt trip part>.

As I said, I mailed (by post - you know paper, envelope, stamps) about 400
surveys. 90% of the completed surveys I have received have come to me in
that way (as opposed to e-mail replies). Many of those people do not
subscribe to this mailing list (There are fewer than 400 subscribers to
this list and only a percentage do Pt/Pd work).

Therefore, I have to put it out in book form. I wanted to encourage
people to fill out their surveys so I told them that if they wanted a
copy of the book - for the cost of printing and postage - that they could
have one so long as they went to the effort of contributing. Not much to
ask I thought.

This, of course raises the issue of making the knowledge available to
those who did not participate, both those who just couldn't be bothered
to contribute, and those who legitimately have nothing to contribute
(someone just becoming interested in trying the process for instance). I
would very much like to make this knowledge available to everyone, but I
did not want to encourage people to think they could get information on
what everyone else was doing without making an effort to participate
themselves. If everyone did this - no book.

Anyway, there have been enough people in the second category
(beginners), that I feel, at the risk of getting fewer surveys returned,
compelled to make the information available to everyone. I am now
thinking that I may price the book such that the non-participants will
subsidize the cost of the books sent to the participants. It would make
me happy to be able to send these books to participants for no charge.
No matter what the outcome, the book won't be very expensive. I am also
going to bundle a 30 page outline entitled "An Introduction To
Platinum/Palladium Printing" that I wrote for a workshop, together with
the survey results.

yours truly,

david fokos

p.s. There is a Member's Art Show being held by the Danforth Art Museum,
here in the Boston area. It is a juried exhibition. Submission cost $5
each, and to become a member of the museum is about $30. Artists are
free to sell their work with the museum getting 20%. The deadline for
entries is April 21. If anyone is interested, let me know, and I'll send
you details.