Re: Gum Dichromate print washing

Carson Graves x4692 3NE (carson@zama.hq.ileaf.com)
Thu, 6 Apr 95 10:59:50 EDT

> From vast.unsw.edu.au!alt-photo-process@ileaf.prospect.com Tue Apr 4 18:11:19 1995
> Sender: alt-photo-process@vast.unsw.edu.au
> From: Michael C Hsueh <cream+@CMU.EDU>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <alt-photo-process@vast.unsw.edu.au>
> Subject: Gum Dichromate print washing
>
> I am planning on doing some gum dichromate prints this summer, and
> I was wondering about what I should do with the water used to wash
> the prints. Can it be poured outside on the ground? How about down
> the drain? Or does it need to be more carefully disposed of?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Michael

I mailed the following to alt-photo-process last November regarding the
disposal of dichromates. Since then, I got some mail from various
chemists who updated this information. (I had also posted this in one
of the rec.photo groups asking for clarification of certain points and
got lots of helpful responses.) I'll summarise the responses at the end.

Also, I'd like to reiterate Steve Avery's excellent mail about taking
all chemical advice posted here with a grain of salt and in light of
local regulations.

So, with that in mind...