Re: Pt/Pd Printer's Survey - please help!

Guy Vinson (gvinson@ced.berkeley.edu)
Thu, 6 Apr 95 18:13:13 PDT

Mr Beakman,
IUm sure that you have the best intentions in the world with producing a
book composed of information that other people supply. I am sure that it will be
well received and you should sell many copies. I do have one or two questions.
Are you going to share any profits with the people suppling you with the
material for 'your book' beyond just the chance to buy a copy at cost. And if
you really are interested only in the betterment of the art why don't you place
a copy on the 'net' that people can make use of. After all you will be typing
this on a computer I would think. This could be sort of a shareware deal, if
people can use the information then they would send you a nominal sum to cover
your stamps etc. You could even leave out your introduction and have less work
to do. But if what you are after is a profit making venture then by all means do
so, but let people know what is going on.

Guy Vinson

> As I said, I mailed (by post - you know paper, envelope, stamps) about 400
> surveys. 90% of the completed surveys I have received have come to me in
> that way (as opposed to e-mail replies). Many of those people do not
> subscribe to this mailing list (There are fewer than 400 subscribers to
> this list and only a percentage do Pt/Pd work).
>
> Therefore, I have to put it out in book form. I wanted to encourage
> people to fill out their surveys so I told them that if they wanted a
> copy of the book - for the cost of printing and postage - that they could
> have one so long as they went to the effort of contributing. Not much to
> ask I thought.
>
> This, of course raises the issue of making the knowledge available to
> those who did not participate, both those who just couldn't be bothered
> to contribute, and those who legitimately have nothing to contribute
> (someone just becoming interested in trying the process for instance). I
> would very much like to make this knowledge available to everyone, but I
> did not want to encourage people to think they could get information on
> what everyone else was doing without making an effort to participate
> themselves. If everyone did this - no book.
>
> Anyway, there have been enough people in the second category
> (beginners), that I feel, at the risk of getting fewer surveys returned,
> compelled to make the information available to everyone. I am now
> thinking that I may price the book such that the non-participants will
> subsidize the cost of the books sent to the participants. It would make
> me happy to be able to send these books to participants for no charge.
> No matter what the outcome, the book won't be very expensive. I am also
> going to bundle a 30 page outline entitled "An Introduction To
> Platinum/Palladium Printing" that I wrote for a workshop, together with
> the survey results.
>
> yours truly,
>
> david fokos
>
> p.s. There is a Member's Art Show being held by the Danforth Art Museum,
> here in the Boston area. It is a juried exhibition. Submission cost $5
> each, and to become a member of the museum is about $30. Artists are
> free to sell their work with the museum getting 20%. The deadline for
> entries is April 21. If anyone is interested, let me know, and I'll send
> you details.

-Guy-