Re: Larger negatives

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Wed, 17 May 1995 01:10:27 +0300

>> From jseigel@panix.com Tue May 16 06:00:11 1995
>> Sender: alt-photo-process@vast.unsw.edu.au
>> Subject: Re: Larger negatives
>>
>> On Sun, 14 May 1995, Tomi Knuutila wrote [about contacting a print to
>> make a negative]:
>>
>> > Isn't it true, however, that on fiber papers part of the emulsion lies
>> > inside the paper, and that might blur the image, no matter how flat the
>> > print is?

The so-called "document" quality papers Kodak (and others in Europe) used
to make had no baryta (BASO4) coating, so the emulsion did sink into the
paper.

Other fiber based papers have at least one baryta coating (matt surface)
and up to four coatings for glossy papers. Therefore, the emulsion would
not reach the paper base. Indeed, the baryta coating is there in part to
protect the emulsion from impurities in the paper.

>> I've been waiting for someone with some actual facts to answer this one
>> (Greg? Are you there?).
>
>Did I hear mention of my name?
>
>Yes, I suspect you might loose some sharpness, though I'm not sure
>how much (Louis? Are you there?). The loss of sharpness would

Dunno about Louis, but Luis is here;-)