Re: Water soluble emulsion (fwd)

Philip Jackson (p.jackson@nla.gov.au)
Wed, 17 May 1995 19:45:05 +22303754 (EET)

Re Tomi Knuutila's message, the following appeared on the PRINTS-L list
a short time ago and is hereby forwarded without the author's permission
(I asked, but he didn't reply). I'd be interested in more info on the
Finnish photo-polymer gravure process too - do you sensitize you're own
plates or are they manufactured?

Incidentally, from Jon Tarrant's review of the heliochrome process in this
month's Photon (http://www.scotborders.co.uk/photon/heliochrome.html),
it sounds like the emulsion (a thick white liquid) could be poly vinyl
alcohol (your common everyday PVA glue) sensitized with some sort of dye
(Activator B, which is supplied as a yellow-brown powder in a small black
plastic bottle).

The identity of the photosensitizer seems to be a jealously guarded trade
secret (consult your friendly neighbourhood polymer chemist and save $$$!
(;-) ). I doubt it's dichromate, given the assurances that the process is
absolutely non-toxic. Heliochrome seems to resemble Kwik Print re the need
to size or seal paper. I can't remember Tarrant saying anything about the
tonal range - presumably there's some need to multiple print to build up
density but I'd also be interested to hear more on this.

Philip Jackson
pjackson@nla.gov.au