Re: Bookstores in Philadelphia

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 6 Jul 1995 14:14:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 6 Jul 1995 Birger.Aune@nycomed.telemax.no wrote:

> Question: I am going to visit Philadelphia this summer, and I would like to
> know if there are any bookstores specializing in photography (especially
> photographic techniques and history)?

I send this answer to the list in case there are any others lurking out
there who could consider a trip to the states that will take them within 2
hours of NYC by train and not come here!!!

Add to that, A Photographer's Place, a bookstore at 133 Mercer St in Soho,
which is a place about as large as a large living room LINED with photo
books by category -- state of the art process, old process, history,
criticism, lighting, filters, retouching, large format, special effects,
rubbish, miracles, old magazines, more than you could imagine, and this
spring had a daguerreotype (contemporary) show as well -- so hop on the
train. There's also the bookstore at ICP (94 St & 5th Ave) and Strand
books (I shouldn't tell anyone about that because their photo department
has the occasional bargain -- it's like broadcasting your favorite little
restaurant on the internet, but I'm a generous person.)

There are quite a number of photo antiquities dealers in the Phila. area,
whom I meet at the APHS fairs in NYC twice a year. They're out there,
relieving the Amish & Pennsylvania "Dutch" of their family relics (others
snap up their oriental rugs, etc.), and perhaps some have shops in
Pennsylvania. No doubt someone fill you in with names.

Enjoy your visit ...

Judy