Re: Cyanotype help!

R Paul Seymour (paul23@netcom.com)
Mon, 10 Jul 1995 00:52:55 -0800

Judy Seigel so kindly wrote:
>Second, you haven't said how you dried the coating, but if you've been
>extremely hardworking & dried it industriously with forced heat before
>the emulsion has had time to sink into the paper, it can form a skin on the
>surface which simply washes off in the water -- especially if the BFK
>had a gelatine size, which you didn't mention.

I think this was most likely the problem with that page. I used a fairly
light coat, and dried it in much haste with a hairdryer. Prevously, I had
coated many pages quite heavily, and let them air dry. I thought they were
ruined because it looked like much of the treatment had begun to develop
due to the dampness of the paper, so I tried the opposite extreme. But,
today I decided to go ahead and try them, and they actually worked
(luckily!). The already developed portions were appearent, but it added a
textural effect I like.

I havn't had the time to coat some more paper, but considering your
knowledge on appropriate stocks, I might find some of the other kind of
paper you mentioned. I did some cyanotypes a couple of years ago at
another school, and Rives BFK is what I was told to use. The quality isn't
of the utmost importance to me, at this point, anyway. Most of the
overlays I've been using for this project havn't been photos, or if they
were they were just cheap photocopies. My potassium ferricyanide looked
quite reddish, so I don't think that was the problem.

The main thing I was looking for in using the cyanotype process was the
ability to layer many images/scimatix/diagrams/words/etc. in the wonderful
blue that cyanotype produces (I am a graphic design student, btw, but I
have enjoyed the little bit of photography I have come to experience). In
fact, I am considering trying to use the process on a very large canvas,
next, for the final project. We shall see...

Anyway, I will try to continue to experiment with the process, I will keep
watching the alternative-photo-process mail-group. Thank you very very
much for all of your expediant and thurough replies. I have saved all the
replies I recieved, and will continue to refer to them.

P4UL S3YMOU2 | pasadena, ca