Re: sizing paper for gums

Virginia Boehm (gini@ix.netcom.com)
Thu, 20 Jul 1995 04:44:20 -0700

You wrote:

>Anyone know of a good, QUICK way to size paper for gum printing. In
the
>past ive always used hot gelatin, dried, formaldehyde, dry, gel, dry,
for,
>dry. gel, dry, for, dry. This takes forever!!!! and with 20x24
sheets its
>a major pain in the ass. I tries to coat my paper with an acrylic
base once
>(some book said it was ok) but the emulsion just beaded up and wouldnt
stick
>evenly. am i doomed to spend days just sizing one sheet of paper, or
what?
> kate

While my method horiffies Judy Seigel and other purists, it works
pretty well for me - use heavy duty spray starch, Niagra or some such
out of the can - spray it on, even the coating with a polybrush, and it
dries, assuming that the humidity is normal, in half an hour or so.
Then do a second coat. This works for me on Rives BFK. But *do*
watch the humidity - it neither spreads nor dries properly in hot,
sticky, weather.
Gini