Re: Laser half tone negs.

Virginia Boehm (gini@ix.netcom.com)
Mon, 24 Jul 1995 05:24:09 -0700

You wrote:

>I am new to alt-photo-process and am wanting to start doing gums with
the
>long term goal of doing full colours.
>
>I have been put off for a number of years by having to make large negs
but
>now have access to a scanner, adobe photoshop and a laser printer.
>
>If I were to produce half tone negs on acetates using this set up
would they
>be appropriate for gum prints?
>
>It seems an ideal way forward as it also allows for the quick and easy

>production of separation negs without registration hassels etc.
>
>Is anyone doing this? Is it worth trying? Would I just get crud
results?

>Roger.

Doing this had never occurred to me - the blending of very old
technology with very new. :-). Definately worth a try. The only
problem I can think of off hand is that you might have extremely high
contrast and have to do quite a bit of masking. The results you get
might look very different from conventional gum prints, but then, there
is nothing wrong with that. After trying to make separation negatives
the old fashioned way, its interesting to see somebody with a new slant
on it. Try it and let us know how it works.
Gini