Re: cyanotype on cloth

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 15 Aug 1995 16:28:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 16 Aug 1995, a girl wrote:

> need some help. i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how to
> apply the emulsion: should i soak it or paint it? if i soak it, would

Dear Girl,

Your question is like asking what's the best paper for art!

Almost any 100% natural material (cotton, silk, linen) can be used. So
what effect do you want? Finest possible detail? See if your granny will
part with some well-worn old 100% cotton sheets. They are superb, print
like velvet. Want rougher cruder more "graphic" texture? Try linen (there
are very fine linens, such as handkerchief linen, too), just don't get
anything so coarse it will interfere with contact.

> hanging it to dry leave streaks, or should i put it flat to dry? also, what

Probably less mess if you hang to dry over newspaper to catch drip. In the
dark of course. Coating is probably easiest if you soak in tray, but if
fabric is bulky, thick & stiff, apply with a foam applicator or brush or
sponge. And generally speaking, the thicker the fabric, the more emulsion
it absorbs, and the longer the exposure.(For thick fabrics do test strip
from 15 minutes to 1 hour!)

silk hold up (are the
> results worth the expense?) is linnen too textury? also, how should i go

The process doesn't "wear out" silk. But what do you want to do with it
afterwards? As for "worth the cost"!!!! Is a silk dress worth the cost?
Silk can be had pretty cheaply too, but I have actually seen very little
cyanotype on silk. Maybe that's a good reason to do it.

> about developing it? i dont have a tray big enough (obviously), does it
> matter if it gets bunched up in the developer water? i hope someone out
> there can

My students often hose big cyanotypes down in the darkroom sink. Or, for
that matter, in the yard, or the bath tub. If all gets well rinsed, the
bunching up shouldn't hurt -- unless it hurts the fabric.

And please do report back on your adventures......and the ultimate fate
of this banner!

Judy