RE: Collodion

michael gudzinowicz (ab366@osfn.rhilinet.gov)
Thu, 17 Aug 1995 17:21:58 -0400

Allan Janus <NASARC07@SIVM.SI.EDU> writes:
[cut]
>Collodion used to be available through Photographer's
>Formulary - is it still listed in the catalogue? It's also
>available through Fisher Scientific. The instructions in
>"Keepers of Light" are adequate; I also adapted formulas in
>"Silver Sunbeam" & "The Ferrotype & How to Make it". Did
>anyone mention that collodion also contains ether? Pleasant
>dreams...

Artcraft Chemicals, Inc. (POB 583, Schenectady, NY 12301;
800-682-1730 or 518-355-8700) sells collodion and other
chemicals for the wet plate process.

The July '95 catalog listed "The Wet-Plate Collodion Manual"
by Mark Osterman ($16.50; written for GEH workshops) and an ad
for "The Collodion Journal" ($25/yr; Scully & Osterman, Box
4543 George School, Newtown, PA 18940). I haven't seen either
publication... perhaps someone else can comment on them?

Artcraft sells most of the common chemicals used in
photography - prices are reasonable and service isn't a problem.