Warning: Philosophical Question

Harriet C.W. Thompson (hthomp@UNIXSRV1.LSUMC.EDU)
Mon, 4 Sep 95 08:57:59 -0500

>Luis Nadeau, NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA recently wrote:

>A simple look as to their nature, discussed in the more
>recent editions of the Neblette and elsewhere and you know immediately that
>you'd better keep them cool, dry and in the dark if you want them to last.

One thing that has always puzzled me with the question of archival quality,
and maybe some of you have clearer thoughts on it: What is the point of
creating art (or collecting art) if you have to "keep them cool, dry and in
the dark if you want them to last."? Is it as simple as the difference
between being pleased because you "have them" and being pleased because you
can "enjoy them"? It seems to me that art, which has by the nature of its
process a short lifespan out of the cool, dry dark, this art would therefore
be all the more precious, could be all the more enjoyable _because_ it has
this short lifespan.

Harriet Thompson

Harriet C.W. Thompson, M.S.
Department MIP/LSUMC