Re: papers for alt processes

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Sat, 28 Oct 95 23:18 GMT

> VDB is sometimes ignored because of the fear of fading. I have gold
toned
> VDB prints in order to prevent this. The is no visible change after
toning.
> R.W.Schramm

Have you tested the gold-toned VDB prints for fading? Plenty of the gold
toned kallitypes I made 8 years ago have already faded badly.
Gold (or platinum) toning doesn't necessarily seem to prevent fading.

Happily some others seem as good as new, but I can't tell you why some
have faded and others not.

You can do accelerated testing for light fading, but kallitypes
certainly fade in the dark (as well as in light?). I'm not sure whether
there are accepted procedures for accelerated dark fading tests.
Possibly use of relatively high temperatureas and humidity?

I put in a few samples of different processes for accelerated light
fading tests recently - I'll post results if and when I get them.

Peter
petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk