Re: more things you have to know about x-ray film

Richard Wheeler (rwheeler@hawaii.hunter.cuny.edu)
Wed, 8 Nov 1995 10:33:31 -0500 (EST)

Yet more thoughts on x-ray film.

richard u wheeler (rwheeler@everest.hunter.cuny.edu)

On Fri, 27 Oct 1995, John Bordley wrote:

> Granted I live in a very small town in a rural area, but over the years
> I've gotten some smaller pieces (about 5x8) from our hospital X-ray dept.
> On occasion they were happy to pass it on because the film was at or past
> its suggested date of use. It worked fine for me. X-ray film is always
> (?) coated on both sides.

I live a few blocks away from the New York Methodist Hospital, and I
called the Radiology department the other day to try John's suggestion.
I was told that it is illegal - or at least against the rules, I really
can't remember now - for hospitals to have past dated film. The
purchasing director at NY Methodist buys in quantities so that he
never has film that is even getting close to past date on the shelf.
And when film does get within three or four months of the expiration
date he sends it back to the company and receives some kind of
reimbursment.

> My philosophy these days is that it doesn't hurt to ask, as long as you are
> willing to accept 'no' for an answer.

Still, I agree with John that it doesn't hurt to ask - any opportunity
to get free or cheap neat stuff is an opportunity you shouldn't pass up.