Re: Gum-Platinum / Cyanotype-ceramic

Thomas C Waters (twater+@pitt.edu)
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 10:31:35 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 19 Dec 1995, Judy Seigel wrote:

> As for cyanotype on ceramic -- guess a flat surface is planned,
> otherwise some ingenious way of fastening negative to curves. A student
> of mine spent most of a semester attempting this; all trials turned
> beige on firing, tho maybe a different glaze/clay/temperature would have
> done otherwise. I suspect, though that for photos on clay a dust-on or
> bichromate process using underglaze pigment would be the best bet if the
> work is to be fired.
>
> To keep the cyanotype blue, you can print on bisque ware and NOT
> refire, tho there may be continuing seepage from the clay which would
> affect the color over time.

The need to complete this "job" for a client has passed, I told them I
couldn't gauruntee the type of finished product they envisioned in the
amount of time alloted.

But a few of the things I had worked out:
Filling a large zip lock baggie with water and using it to hold negative
in place on non-flat surface. This has worked pretty well for me on
other similar projects. On the bowl specifically, the photoi was to be
on the inside, so I figured small negs set side by side, so that the
photo was kinda puzzle piece like.

For non flat surfaces, my experience has been that the quality of the
photo will vary considerably, so I see it as a surface treatment as
opposed to a clear photographic print.

I had hoped that there was some way to glaze and fire after the
cyanotyping... but haven't found any that keeps a good color....

Thanks for your comments Judy,

> Kent Wade's sadly out-of-print book, Alternative Photography (or
> Alternative Photographic Processes?), is the best source I've seen for
> photo on ceramics and other craft media. I have, unfortunately, NEVER seen
> this book for sale second-hand. I suspect that to get one you have to hang
> out at the hospital and when an owner dies rush over to their place and
> steal it.

Have you or anyone else here on the list tried the Strands in NYC?? They
will even keep an eye out for a book for you. I don't get to NYC oftenb
enough, but if I remember, the next time I'm there I can check with them.

--
Thomas C. Waters
twater+@pitt.edu

"When evil men plot, good men must plan. When evil men burn and bomb, good men must build and bind. When evil men shout ugly words of hatred, good men must commit themselves to the glories of love." Martin Luther King Jr.