Re: Alternative Photography Review

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Tue, 26 Dec 95 10:32 GMT

Sitting here with issue 4 in my hand I have to say it is a little
disappointing compared to the previous issues - with the exception of Judy's
article (which she has described in an earlier message and I felt was very
much to the point.)

Other than this, three of the 12 pages are taken up with various postings
from this very list, culled and contributed by Mike Ware (including 3 posts
by Judy - spelt correctly here) on the subjects of glyoxal, powder processes
and 'Misadventures with UV Light' from Philip Jackson.

The rest is what I regard as a rather confused double page on the Kallitype
by Nic Hale whose main argument is that anything not covered by Nicol's
patent BP5374 shouldn't be called a kallitype, and contains nothing of
substance that isn't in the standard works (making your own ferric oxalate
and a couple of standard kallitype recipes), part 4 of a series on bromoil
(not much use if you haven't got parts 1-3), an article for beginners on
making enlarged negs, a consideration on why use alternative processes,
Dennis Klinker's aptly named 'ramblings' and not a lot else.

In fact possibly the only thing of interest to most on the list (you already
have the benefit of Judy's wisdom here) is in the editorial (Keith Dugdale)
concerning a recent letter from the Sales Manager at Kentmere who informs
him that the entire Kentint range of papers and also their Bleach Etch paper
are non-supercoated. Keith has tried the Ivory base Kentint for Bromoil and
says using Ami Strong Black straight from the tin with a foam roller it inks
up very well, although as it is a resin-coated paper it needs a high
proportion of glycerine in the final soaking bath to stop it drying too
quickly. Keith hopes to be joining us on the net and promises an e-mail
address for the next issue.

Oh yes, I've just sent my sub for the next four issues, and the UK rate has
gone up to TEN pounds. It will be 16 pages from next issue. No information
given on overseas subs.

Can't help on gumstip, but Tween 20 you may find in your chemical suppliers
list - it is a non-ionic surfactant I believe and not equivalent to any
Kodak etc product. Mike Ware (I think) introduced it in one of his updated
processes. Suspect gumstip is a typo.