U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | A request

A request

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: A request
  • From: John Edwards <edw4@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:53:56 -0700

Thanks, Etienne - I have now tweaked everything I could find in the SpamArrest setup, and hopefully this will stop the pain.
Strangely, your message was flagged as a probable email forgery!
Big type follows, don't be alarmed....
IF ANYBODY HAS ANY FURTHER PROBLEMS WITH SPAMARREST MESSAGES, PLEASE FORWARD THEM TO ME.
I paid for their service, and it should be adaptable......
I do have an address "in the open" where I can receive this list, if my filter just won't adapt.
Thanks for your understanding - I really did not know this had been a continuing problem.
And Judy, thanks for bringing it to my attention!
- Just Old John

John wrote:

I have placed this list on "approved" status, which I sincerely hope
will solve the problem.
It may or may not.

The list server leaves the original "From:" header (showing the original
poster's address) on distributed messages and adds a "Reply-to:" header
(showing the list-post address).  I assume it deletes any "Reply-to"
headers present on the incoming message from the distributed messages, but
do not know for sure.

SpamArrest appears to key on the first "From:" header it encounters (rather
than the "Reply-to:" header or any other "From:" headers that are present),
at least to address its return message to blocked senders -- that is why
individual posters are receiving the SpamArrest messages.  If SpamArrest is
using the "From:" header to identify senders to block, as well, you will
have to approve every list member individually.  You need to make
SpamArrest key on the "Reply-to:" or "List-Id:" header to approve all list
messages as a class.

Best regards,

etienne