U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: pt/pd mounting

RE: pt/pd mounting

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: RE: pt/pd mounting
  • From: EJN Photo <ejnphoto@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:59:37 -0500

The underlying issue is whether an acid environment is called for because it
is where pt pd process goes, or whether is it better to keep it pH neutral
or toward the alkaline side.

I'd go with buffered if what Liam says is accurate. I am not saying it is
not. The paper will be happier in a neutral environment and if the PT prints
do indeed go acid a buffer will help.

The process is subjected to a variety of pH environments and different
practitioners will use different clearing bath and what not affecting the pH
of the paper. I doubt any one has studied the new sprays meant for ink jet
prints on the longevity of PT/PD prints. If the air is what carries the
sulfur, than eliminating contact with the air seems like a place to start.
Or will the sulfur migrate through the protective surface?

???

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9
Dallas, TX 75226