U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Gum and inkjet

Re: Gum and inkjet

Paul

There are a lot of differences between inkjet inks. Like pigment and dye based inks and also some ink formulas contain glycol or other chemicals. It is very hard to say what inks will work with tri-color gum.

I once tried it with a gum/dichro mix and pigment based carbon black inkjet ink (MIS Archival Black from inksupply.com) and it was a complete disaster. The ink stained very much and left a grey rectangle were an image was expected. So it definitely needs more experimentation. Maybe the C M Y inks may stain less. But I have the impression that pigments in inkjet inks tend to attach very firmly, by themselves, to the (gelatin sized) paper surface. And that's what we don't want in gumprinting.

As I am working on my own carbon tissue now I have a question too. Has anyone tried pigmentbased inkjet inks for carbon tissue?

kees brandenburg
middelburg netherlands
polychrome.nl