U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Measuring humidity

Re: Measuring humidity

I've spent the morning searching for a hygrometer, and finally came home with one that seems to work okay.

I found another Radio Shack I hadn't known about, and a very helpful person inside (the other Radio Shacks couldn't tell me anything: couldn't tell me if the item existed, if it was on order, if it had come in, if they were ever likely to get it, if I could special order it, didn't seem the least interested in helping me find a way to obtain it) who looked it up online and said there's no such item in Radio Shack's catalog. So maybe it's been dropped from their inventory since all you guys bought yours.

She suggested I go to a large marine supply place, so I went there, but they didn't have anything either. Again, there was a very helpful person who was interested enough in my problem that she called someone at their head office in Seattle, and after talking to him a while called me over and said "I think he's got the answer for you" and handed me the phone. The guy in Seattle said, "Here's what you do. You take two thermometers, and you get the bulb of one of them wet, and you put them in a sling thing and sling them around, and then you take the difference in the temperatures." I said, well, yes, I could do that I suppose, but I was hoping to find an instrument that would do it for me. He said sorry, he'd never heard of such a thing. (BTW, Camden, THAT's funny).

At any rate, I finally found a temperature-humidity thing at a garden store for $34.99 (I had already exhausted all the hardware stores and building supply places a couple of weeks ago) and have been having fun taking it around to various places in the house and outside. Unlike the cheaper one I got, this one is very responsive, as Judy said hers is. So far I have ascertained that the temperature and humidity in the workroom are the same as the temperature and humidity outside, which is what I would have expected with the room wide open to the outdoors, and also within a couple of points of the temperature and humidity at the airport. We're in our legendary fall weather which is drier and warmer than the rest of the year; this afternoon it's about 70 degrees and 64% humidity. So I still don't know if it will measure accurately at more normal higher humidity ranges, but so far so good.
Katharine