U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Measuring humidity

Re: Measuring humidity

On Sep 28, 2006, at 1:57 PM, sitgesn1@netscape.net wrote:

Katharine,
I want to comment the following points concerning relative humidity measurements
a) Most of the sensors I have seen are accurate + - 4-5% or worst. Usually are calibrated at 55% at 25ºC. I've checked my Oregon that has two measuring points and I got readings of 55% and 64% for the same point of measure.
b) The most accurate system for measuring humidity and related parameters is with 2 thermometers One for measurement of air temperature and the second with a wet bulb for measuring the dew point. With these two temperatures and a table you can get relative humidity and absolute water content per cubic meter of air. I think this last parameter is really the most important concerning gum printing. Using relative humidity alone can be confusing and meaningless except if you always work at the same temperature. In order to put it more clear consider the following data
Air ºC RH % Water per m3 of air g/m3
15 100 12.815
20 100 17.274
25 100 23.015
30 100 30.32
35 100 39.541
Imagine your workroom is at 30ºC and your hygrometer is reading 57% This means that every cubic meter of air contains . 57x30.32=17.28 g/m3 of water. At 20ºC humidity should be at 100% for the same content of water.
c) For those interested in calibration their hygrometer
http://www.smartec.nl/pdf/apphs1002.pdf
d) For those interested in computing relative humidity as a function of dew point and water contents in air
http://www.cactus2000.de/uk/unit/masshum.shtml
I hope this helps

Yes it does, thanks; that's very interesting. Things are never as simple as they seem, are they.
I guess I had always assumed, showing my ignorance, that relative humidity took temperature into account, and as such it was an indicator of water content in and of itself. Thanks for setting me straight. I've always said it's not the humidity, it's the heat, and this just tends to confirm that.

But apparently I'm not the only one making this mistake, because we've all been using RH as if it were a meaningful variable, and obviously it's not, unless, as you say, temperature is held constant. The graphs in the literature showing the relationship between humidity and dark reaction, and humidity and sensitivity, were no doubt constructed holding temperature constant. Unfortunately they don't say that, or specify the temperature, although I suppose we could assume 25C, isn't that the usual standard temperature?

Katharine