U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: brush vs tray size for gum

Re: brush vs tray size for gum

Jack,

I use a 1"-12, 1/2" diameter rod for coating paper for carbon final support. This leaves a wet coat height of about 0.4mm.

Before coating the rod is placed in a tube with hot water at about 130ºF. I spread the gelatin solution over the paper, usually about 22"X29", and quickly even the solution by hand or with a brush. Then, I roll the rod over the paper. As the hot rod passes over the surface of the paper it levels the gelatin coating, and at the same time, dissipates bubbles. I add the hardener to the paper just before coating, as Kerik described.

The solid metal rod holds heat much longer than glass, either tubes or solid, and is much more effective for my use. I suspect the same would be true for coating papers for gum printing.

Sandy King