U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Ink color for digital negs

Re: Ink color for digital negs

There are definitely best combinations, depending on printer and process.

The best combination is one that matches the maximum transmission density of the digital negative to the exposure scale of the process. So if you process has an ES of 1.8, and Dmin is about 0.15 on the negative, you would want to select a color that gives a maximum transmission density of about 1.95. If printing with alternative processes the reading would need to be made in UV mode.

The Epson 2200 is capable of printing with considerable more contrast than that. In fact, with black ink the UV transmission can be as high as about log 3.4.

Sandy King