From: Katharine Thayer [mailto:kthayer@pacifier.com]
Sent: Saturday, 21 October 2006 5:49 a.m.
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: Re: digital negative possibilities for gum

On Oct 20, 2006, at 5:44 AM, stwang@bellsouth.net wrote:

> And each of these affect how the resulting gum print would look
> like. And each will need a different curve and a different way of
> printing.

I think this last point is especially well taken, and should provide
a warning against reading too much into comparisons where the
printing method is held constant across different negative types or
conditions.

We think we're making our results more interpretable or generalizable
by holding everything constant, but in many cases we're doing the
opposite.  For example, I've been puzzled in the past by
demonstrations that compare the DMax or contrast for different
concentrations of dichromate, keeping the exposure time and
development time constant.  Of course, if you're going to go that,
you can show anything you want by choosing an exposure time that
favors the conclusion you want to draw.  But the only reasonable and
meaningful way to compare the contrast and DMax of different
concentrations of dichromate, is to print each concentration at its
natural exposure time, which will be different for each dichromate
concentration (since speed varies directly with concentration)  and
compare the contrast and DMax of the resulting prints that are
properly printed for the dichromate concentration.

By the same token, if you compare different negative types using the
protocol for one negative type  as a standard protocol applied to all
the different negatives, then the negative type whose protocol you
used  will of course come out looking best, because the protocol is
calibrated for that material.  But it would be misleading to say that
means that material is better just because it looks better in a side
by side comparison of this kind.  If you'd calibrated the protocol on
one of the other types of material, then that's the kind that would
come out looking best.  The only way to really compare different
negative types in a meaningful way is to print each using the
protocol which optimizes its performance, which as Sam says will be
different for each of them,  and then compare those prints.   These
*seems* less standardized, but it's actually more standardized.
You're optimizing the print, rather than standardizing the protocol,
and optimizing the print after all is what we're after, isn't it, or
have we got so obsessed with standardization that we've forgotten
what the goal is? By standardizing the protocol, you're actually
confounding the results, not clarifying them.

Perhaps an example would help clarify my meaning.  It's like the time
I printed a small image on a lot of different paper samples, to use
in a demonstration to show how gum looks on different paper surfaces
and textures and so forth. I certainly wasn't going to calibrate the
printing time for 20 different papers (and yes, different papers do
require different methods too) so I just used the printing time I
always used for my standard paper, which at the time was Arches
Aquarelle.   But they drew a completely different conclusion from the
demonstration than I intended them to.  I just wanted them to see
that different papers give a different look, in terms of detail and
texture, to a gum print.  But instead, they concluded that because
the print on Arches was perfect in tonal scale and contrast and all
that, that Arches must be the best paper to print gum on.  I'm not
sure I ever managed to convince them, though I tried very hard, that
the print on Arches looked best because my whole printing protocol
was calibrated for Arches, and that if I had calibrated for a
different paper, any of the other 19, then the print on that paper
would look best.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now, but this is something that I've
been thinking about for quite a while around different issues.

Katharine