U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: digital negative possibilities for gum

Re: digital negative possibilities for gum

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006, Ender100@aol.com wrote:
I use the same method and it works very well.   I usually use a setting for
amount of between 8 and 12, but   it depends on the image and the image size &
resolution.

I also set it to Monochromatic and use Uniform.

Filter>Noise>Add Noise

Oddly enough though, I like this method because it doesn't produce grain in
the deeper shadows and blacks—it looks more natural to me.

Mark, would you please explain what you mean by "it looks more natural to me"? "Natural" like what? Like color film? Like "reality"? Like .....?

I'm not sure that any of this is "natural" -- unless some of it is less unnatural than something else? It seemed to me that some aesthetic judgements and/or information might reside in that "natural" and I'm hoping you'll share.

Judy