U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: How many gum layers (Re: ferri sesquichlorati)

Re: How many gum layers (Re: ferri sesquichlorati)

Halvor, I've not seen either of these approaches, but neither of them makes much sense to me.

I assume here we're talking about printing a negative that exceeds the short tonal range that gum is capable of in one printing.

The usual recommendation is multiple printings using more pigment and less exposure for the shadows, and less pigment and more exposure for the highlights. This works well for me. (I don't think it matters what order you do it in. I like to lay in the highlights and midtones first, with a less-pigmented emulsion and a longish exposure, and then put in the shadows with more pigment and less exposure. But I can imagine someone wanting to put in the darks first (easier registration, for one thing) and the lights second; I don't think it makes any difference.)

Then there's a school of thought that says you should make a contact negative that brings the tonal scale of the original negative down to the short range of gum, but that's never made sense to me because you lose so much of the subtlety when you do that; I prefer to print all the tones in the original negative. So far, the only way I've ever seen to get subtle tonal gradation throughout a long tonal scale (with the one exception of Marek's back-printed flowers) is multiple printing, as described above.
Katharine