U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: How many gum layers (Re: ferri sesquichlorati)

Re: How many gum layers (Re: ferri sesquichlorati)

I don't know... around and around and around we go. We had a spirited debate about this a while back that started around the question of top-down vs bottom-up hardening. Chris issued a challenge: she said that using the method of matching the negative to the short scale of gum, she would be able to equal the tonal scale of a carbon print with a one-coat gum. I said, well, I'm skeptical but I'm willing to be shown. But when she finally posted the print, it was just your usual one-coat gum, with a couple dark tones, a couple mid tones and a couple light tones, but nothing like subtlety of tonal gradation throughout a long tonal scale that's possible with a carbon print, or with multiple printing with gum. As I said, so far the only example of a one-coat gum I've seen that seemed to live up to that ideal was Marek's back-printed flowers; nothing else has come close. So, until someone shows me something more interesting, I'll continue to say that the only way to do that is with multiple printing.
Katharine