U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: VDB On Papyrus

Re: VDB On Papyrus

Doug,

Thanks for sharing.  You're right about the color; it's kind of...blah.
Cyanotype seems to be the way to go, since there's not a whole lot of
contrast between the VDB image and the background.  I had the same problem
with pt/pd, but not quite to that extent...which is why I only posted the
silhouette image.  :)

I also had problems coating, since pt/pd emulsions are that wonderful
orange color.  I had to work fast, because it got to the point where I was
relying entirely on the reflection of the wet coating to see what still
needed to be covered.

One thing I do really like about the VDB that didn't happen with my pt/pd
prints (as far as I can tell from a digital capture) is the coating
"irregularities", for lack of a better word.  The texture of the papyrus
really shows through the VDB, whereas with pt/pd it didn't.  This gets a
little distracting in the shadows, but I really like it in the midtones.

Let me know when you get some more cyanotypes done, because I'd love to
see them.

Camden Hardy

camden[at]hardyphotography[dot]net
http://www.hardyphotography.net