U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Mike Ware's POP Pt./Pd. Pt

Re: Mike Ware's POP Pt./Pd. Pt

Cost wise I don't think you will find a significant difference between traditional DOP Pt./Pd. with ferric oxalate and POP Pt./Pd with ferric ammonium oxalate with either the Ware method or Ziatype. FAO costs a lot less than FO, but in the larger scheme the paper and metal salts represent more than 90% of the total cost so if the goal is to save money the best method is to buy the metal salts and paper in volume.

To this point I have used primarily traditional DOP Pt./Pd. with the dichromate system of contrast control, though I did experiment with Ziatype in the past, and in the last several days I have made some very nice prints with the Ware method. For the most part, DOP Pt./Pd. has proven trouble free, but getting the FO solution right is very important, which can be complicated by the fact that FO is an ill-defined substance and supplies can and do vary. The advantages of FAO are that it is less expensive, better defined, and goes into solution much easier than FO.

I really don't know which method would be better for a beginner. I tend to think that POP Pt./Pd. might be slightly easier, but control of humidity is more important than with DOP Pt./Pd. since it affects both color and printing speed.

If cost is a major issue you might consider making kallitypes and toning them with palladium or platinum. The end result if almost identical, in that in both cases you have a print that is primarily made up of metallic palladium or platinum. Silver nitrate is a lot less expensive than palladium or platinum, and you don't waste the palladium except on images that are good. However, making good kallitypes also requires a lot of attention to detail.

Sandy King