U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: spot tone

Re: spot tone

Japanese calligraphy is something everyone in Japan learns in elementary
school and middle school, like French and Germans do calligraphy with
fountain pens. Anyway, the quality of black that can be made with
bottled ink, and that made by grinding ink stick on stone for many
minutes vary, so I used to use bottled ink for practice but grind my ink
for the final work. But these days the quality of high end bottled inks
are not bad at all... and grinding ink is probably more a matter of
spiritual exercise.

I don't know about the Chinese variety but the carbon pigment is
generally obtained from soot of combustion, either vegetable oil
(rapeseed oil) or pine chips. The rapeseed oil soot makes neutral black
with good Dmax and gloss. The pine soot varies from cold black to
neutral black. Anyway, I agree that these inks are probably very usable
as spotting material, as they are a high quality carbon pigment ink in
hide glue as the binder. Bottled (liquid) inks contain a small amount of
fungicide to preserve the hide glue.

Ryuji