U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: PYROCAT-MC GLYCOL: Alternative Process Film Development

Re: PYROCAT-MC GLYCOL: Alternative Process Film Development

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: PYROCAT-MC GLYCOL: Alternative Process Film Development
  • From: Jeremy Moore <jeremydmoore@gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 13:56:10 -0600

Sandy,

What about the -P concotion? I thought it was to give higher apparent
sharpness (at the cost of larger grain) when using intermittent
agitation (such as tray processessing)

-Jeremy-

On 11/29/06, Sandy King <sanking@clemson.edu> wrote:
Mark,

Results from the two formulas are similar, and you can basically use
the same times with -MC as with -HD. The most fundamental difference
is that you will get  greater apparent sharpness with -MC in rotary
(continuous) processing than with -HD, and if developing for the high
contrast needed for alternative printing there will be slightly less
B+F stain with -MC. The color of the stain is also slightly different
with -MC, but so far as I can tell this not change results very much.

In essence, if you want to do rotary processing I recommend -MC. For
minimal and stand development I recommend -HD. For other intermittent
types of agitation I recommend both.

Best,

Sandy