U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: strong tape of 0.15 to 0.20 mm thickness

Re: strong tape of 0.15 to 0.20 mm thickness

Ryuji,

You might try aluminum tape. I don't know the thickness, but it's very strong and the surface is both flat and low friction. It also adheres to itself if you need a second layer.

About ten years ago, I decided to insulate my heater ducts. This is the tape I was instructed to use. It's still there. You can buy it at any of the big box home improvement places.

Barry

Ryuji Suzuki wrote:

Here's another question that may have little to do with alt
but this time it actually does... more so than most other
posts of mine. The reason is that I have a new "toy" camera
but I like to shift the focusing distance somewhat closer than
the camera's default. Moving the lens outward is out of
question; I've decided to move the film back. The preferred
offset is about 0.18mm.

I need a tape with the following property:

1. thickness of between 0.15 and 0.20 mm
2. strong, durable material, preferrably hard
3. low friction on the surface
4. strong adhesive

Duct tape has 0.15mm thickness, reasonably strong adhesive,
but it is not very hard nor durable especially when there is
friction against its surface. I'm looking for an adhesive
tape made of hard plastic tape or even aluminium or copper.

The perforated part of the 35mm film is run against this tape
surface. That is, the tape is affixed on existing film guide
rails and the tape surface becomes the film guide rails. Duct
tape can withstand friction for a roll or two of 36exp film,
but it tends to wear out during rewinding process. Currently
I'm using duct tape or similar tape but I have to replace the
tape frequently.

If you know of adhesive tape products that meet these
criteria, please let me know of the brand, product name,
product web site, etc.

Thanks!

Ryuji