U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Ware/Malde-Ziatype-DOP palladium,was RE: "New" Paper for Pt/Pd (an

RE: Ware/Malde-Ziatype-DOP palladium,was RE: "New" Paper for Pt/Pd (and other iron processes, too)

I wanted to add a note to this. Instead of using inspection, what I have taken to do with the POP processes when making a large print, both Ware/Malde and Ziatype, is to coat a small test sheet at the same time I coat paper for the larger print, using the same sensitizer. The technique is simple. I start coating the large print and when it is mostly complete, coat the small sheet with the brush already charged with the sensitizer. Then I return to the main sheet and complete the stroke, then do the same with the smaller sheet. When finished I dry the small sheet about ten minutes and then expose, develop and dry it, which takes 3-6 minutes. I evaluate, and them immediately expose the large sheet. I find this method much more precise in determining final image tone and density than inspection.

In any event, inspection is not much of an option with me since I use a vacuum frame.

I would prefer to rely on sensitometry, as I do with DOP Pt./Pd., but the POP processes seem to vary a lot in terms of density and color with very small changes in temperature and/or humidity.

Sandy King