U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: duct tape

Re: duct tape

----- Original Message ----- From: "Judy Seigel" <jseigel@panix.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 6:44 PM
Subject: duct tape

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Camden Hardy wrote:

I use sharpies for everything. They're right up there with duct tape. :)

Be advised -- the post office (or my post office) has a new rule against duct tape. They say it gunks up their machine. If you have visible duct tape on a package they won't take it.

J.

Most office supply stores have several types of tape for shipping. Light duty "sealing tape" is transparent, high strength, plastic tape with a strong adhesive. For heavier boxes one needs what is called filiment tape. This is a heavier plastic tape with filiments of fiberglass embedded in it. Its very strong in tension.
Duct tape is often confused with Gaffer tape. Duct tape is intended for wrapping air and water ducts. It has a lightly re-inforced plastic body with a very agressive adhesive wich migrates and gets all over everything. Its very hard to remove. The reinforcement looks like cheesecloth. Gaffer tape is an easily removable tape with a non-migrating adhesive. Its made of a cloth with a bias such that it tears easily across the tape but has considerable tensil strength the long way. Its used in the motion picture industry for all sorts of temporary fastenings. It was intended to be removeable without damaging paint but I wouldn't count on it.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com