U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Coating Box for Becquerel Development

Re: Coating Box for Becquerel Development

Bruce,

I agree with Greg that the varnish will probably have little or no effect on the powerful iodine fumes in your box. Varnish takes a while to fully dry/cure, even though it may feel dry to the touch. Consequently, you should wait several days (a week would be even better) before putting the air-tight glass top on your fuming box. The iodine fumes will eventually stain much of the inside of your box a dark brown color; that is normal. Don't worry about it.

Good Luck. The magic of daguerreotype lives!

Regards,
Rob McElroy
Contemporary daguerreotypist
Buffalo, NY

P.S. to Greg: Nice talking with you in Pittsburgh. Keep shooting!

Gregory Popovitch wrote:
Bruce - the varnish probably doesn't matter. The iodine should be in a glass
dish inside the box, and capped by a sliding piece of glass that is slid out
when you want to expose the plate to the iodine fumes.

gregory