U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Gum Preservatives

Re: Gum Preservatives

You could, but I wouldn't. What you need is a biocide, while glyoxal functions as a crosslinking agent. If you used enough glyoxal to crosslink the gum enough to discourage mold growth, I suspect it would also render the gum insoluble (thus unusable). In my experiments hardening gum for painting, I found that a drop of glyoxal hardened 5 ml of gum to a crystalline state. In general, I'd say you want the crosslinking of gum to occur in the exposure phase, not before.
Katharine